Pages

23 July 2010

Summer Recap... WHAT?!? NOW?!?

Yep, it's true - back to school is quickly approaching and even though I hate to think that it is time for a "Summer Recap," the reality is that a new school year is staring me in the face and I am rushing into it headfirst (even though that could cause brain damage!).

FYI: For anyone who really thinks that "teachers get the summers off" - I'd like to find out which teachers you know that are living that life, cause I need to talk to them and figure out how to cash in on that part of my career since I haven't managed a "summer off" yet in 13 years of being an educator. Holy crumb, just by saying "13 years as an educator" I felt myself age!

So, here are some of the things that I would have to include in my summer wrap-up (oh yeah, I have pictures, they're just still on my camera!)...

  • Taught classes at our school's summer enrichment camp.

  • Co-facilitated the Community Partners Program at school where students in 7th - 12th grade act as a board of trustees to learn about non-profit organizations in our community and then decide as a board which organizations to disburse grant monies to and how much each will receive. A totally AWESOME experience!

  • Met with the young lady who will be my intern this coming year.

  • Went to San Antonio to visit family that I love.

  • Hosted an Open House to celebrate my seester's graduation with her Masters in Social Work from UTA.

  • Went to my little nephew's blessing.

  • Had some friends over for a chat session. It was such an uplifting evening where we talked about the talks given during our Church's spring session of General Conference. I loved being able to share my thoughts and feelings and to discuss these things with some people that I love and respect a lot.

  • Went with Brian to Houston for a week where I: Caught up with a friend that I worked with at Sycamore when I was just starting down the road that would lead me to"13 years as an educator;" Visited with Matt-ay Sapp-ay (he's like a brother-from-another-mother, since he grew up in our house with my youngest brother and has always been part of our fam); Went to the Holocaust Museum of Houston and was overwhelmed by the emotion of that event in our history - how anyone could think it wasn't real is beyond my understanding; Met some of Brian's co-workers (who were funn-ny!); Survived the torrential downpour of rain compliments of Hurricane Alex (who thankfully did not make landfall in Houston as originally predicted); Read a couple of great books while hanging out in the hotel room during the previously mentioned torrential downpour; Saw The Last Air Bender (and surprisingly liked it!); Went shopping; and mostly... I just enjoyed being out of town with B!

  • B and I went with our friends Shelby and Kirk to see a late show of Eclipse as a spur-of-the-moment decision the day we got back from Houston because Shelby was going to miss our July 8th GNO. It was soooo much fun and we all think that we should do more random things more regularly! Just cause we age doesn't mean we get old!

  • Girls Night Out events to see: Letters from Juliet (such a cute movie) and Eclipse (the movie event of the summer!).

  • Went with the "Sunshine Girls" to deliver "Buckets of Sunshine" to some friends.

  • Had a great time on the 4th of July at Heather and Spence's awesome get-together.

  • Celebrated my birthday... 35 years of living life... I hope I'm living it well!

  • Started planning for my new responsibility of teaching the early morning youth scripture study class (aka: Seminary) this coming fall. And when I say early morning, what I mean is... 17 teenagers (9th - 12th grade) get up and come to a 5:45 am class to study and learn the scriptures together Monday - Friday during the school year and I have the amazing opportunity to teach this class. I love working with these youth and even though 5:45 am is SUPER early, I am excited to be able to teach this class. Having been a student of early morning seminary many years ago, I know that there are great blessings that come from starting your day studying the scriptures.

  • Dealt with home repairs like: replacing a section of pipe under our foundation (which is thankfully all finished - including the carpet being restretched) and having the air conditioner repaired when it went on the blink.

  • Spent time with ALL of my family! Both of my brothers that live out of state came in with their families for a week and so we created "Camp Sturgill" with activities that all of us could do together each day (and by all of us, that would be 21 people - ages 2 months and up). It was fun to see everyone and I enjoyed spending time together.

And something that was really awesome this summer:

  • Celebrating 15 years of marriage with B - whom I love more than anything!


Now to get ready for the school year - our teacher inservice days start August 11 and then school starts August 18.

So, farewell Summer of 2010, it has been busy but fun!

5 Cheers (not Jeers!):

Unknown said...

I can't think of a better person to be the seminary teacher (that hasn't already been one)! I'm sure it will be hard for your students to fall asleep in your class!

K said...

Hillary - Thanks for such a nice complment. The question is... will I be able to stay awake AFTER my class when I head to work for the day!

Danielle said...

you're definitely going to be mia in a couple weeks so we need to get together and do a craft or something! ack!

Cathy said...

HAPPY NEW SEMINARY YEAR - loving that church history year!

Love,
Sister Hunter

andi said...

Holy cow, could you BE any busier??? I hope this coming school year is great for you!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin