Pages

22 February 2011

Catching up with Reality

How often do you hang out with Reality?

I don't always hang out with her because, well, sometimes Reality is just a little bit TOO real! Instead I try moving really quickly from one thing to the next so that Reality can't catch up. (If you know Reality, than you know exactly what I'm talking about!) Unfortunately, I'm not that fast and it seems that Reality is always two-steps ahead of me and I have to catch-up!

When I stop and think it, I realize that Reality is just looking out for me. After all, she reminds me of important things that need to be done, she shakes her head when I get off-track and nudges me along when I have ignored the little things too long, she pulls me back from getting completely absorbed in a great book or in the world of blogs when the bathroom or the laundry is crying for my attention. Actually, the list of things that Reality keeps an eye on for me is pretty long and I should be appreciative, right?

Yes, I know that Reality is persistent and she keeps me in check (most of the time), but sometimes I really just want to run and hide from her. She doesn't always act like a friend, and can actually be downright pushy and demanding when she thinks I need to get something done right away. Reality nags and bosses, and she really knows how to make you feel guilty when you haven't done your part. Truth be told, sometimes Reality is more of a pain than a pal.

But I've got to face it, Reality is here for the long haul. I can't get rid of her. I can't hide. She's just too persistent! Truthfully, I'm glad. I hate to think of what mental state I might live in if Reality wasn't always there to remind me of my responsibilities and obligations. So, I am trying to appreciate Reality a little bit more. I am trying to see Reality as a friend, not a foe. I am trying to spend more quality time with Reality instead of rushing in and mumbling hello then trying to take care of a million things at the last minute so I can rush right back out.

Sometimes it is hard to listen to Reality and to accept what she teaches, but when I stop and think about it, I know that Reality is just trying to keep me focused on things that matter so that I can be successful and so that I can appreciate the blessings of my life.

But oh, how I wish that there were times when Reality would just take a vacation!

2 Cheers (not Jeers!):

Danielle said...

i actually don't love reality a lot of the time. i try and hang out with my other friend - Dee-Ny-ul more. She's wayyyyy more fun.

K said...

Dee-Ny-ul is soooo much more fun than Reality, but I have noticed that there always seems to be a really big mess to clean up after she leaves. I should stop hanging out with her quite so much if I don't want to clean up after her!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin